The Bible timeline events for July brings us one of the most familiar stories of the Bible, the golden calf and Moses breaking the first set of the 10 Commandments!
As we move through summer, it is fun to take time to remember other events that have occurred in history during this time of the year. Get ready to mark your calendar!
July 2 – Tamuz 3
- The Sun Stood Still: On Tamuz 3, 1273 BC, according to Jewish history, the army of Israel, under the leadership of Joshua, were fighting against the Amorites. Joshua prayed and the Lord caused the sun to stand still until Joshua and the army of Israel defeated the Amorites. Joshua 10:1-154
July 8 – Tamuz 9
- The King Captured: On the 9th of Tamuz, the famine within the besieged city of Jerusalem was so bad that the king and the men of war fled the city. The Babylonians captured the king and took him as a prisoner to Babylon. 2 Kings 25:3-4
July 15- Tamuz 16
- The Golden Calf Molded: While Moses was on the mountain meeting with God, the people asked Aaron to build them a god. Taking the gold from the people, Aaron fashioned the golden calf. Exodus 32:1-5
July 16 – Tamuz 17
- Worship at the Golden Calf: After creating the golden calf, Aaron declared a feast day to the Lord. He built an altar before the golden calf and some of the people brought offerings. Others ate, drank, and played before the altar. Exodus 32:5-6
- Broken Tablets: After receiving the Ten Commandments written by God on two tablets, Moses returned to the camp of Israel only to discover some of the people celebrating around a golden calf. Tamuz 17 is commemorated as the day Moses broke the tablets on which God had written the Law. Some Jewish sources put this event on Av 29. Exodus 32:19
July 17 – Tamuz 18
- Moses Prayed: The day after Moses descended the mountain to find the people and the golden calf, he once again ascended the mountain to seek atonement for the sin of the people. Exodus 32:30-31
July 28 – Tamuz 29
- Death of Paul: According to Syriac Church History, the Apostle Paul was beheaded in Rome on this day. Paul knew he was going to die and penned the beautiful words of 2 Timothy 4:6-8.
What important events have happened in your life? As we look forward to July, let us be thankful for all God has done in our lives over the many summers we have been alive!
Learn more about the Biblical Calendar today!