Bible Timeline Events Happening in August 2023
As the calendar page turns, we embark on a fascinating journey through biblical history, focusing on the events that unfolded in the month of August.
August kicks off with the intriguing story of the remaining men of the tribe of Benjamin, who took unconventional steps to find wives. And as the month draws to a close, we encounter the heart-wrenching demise of the Ten Spies, whose evil report led to a rebellion against God.
So, grab your calendar and get ready to explore these biblical events that once shaped the destiny of a nation and still hold valuable lessons for us today. Join us as we uncover the hidden gems of August’s biblical timeline and discover where you can find their stories in the Bible.
August 2 – Av 15
- Wives for the Tribe of Benjamin: Traditionally, this is the day the men from the Tribe of Benjamin took wives from the other tribes. Judges 21:23
August 4 – Av 17
- Death of Mary: Mary, the mother of Jesus, died this day according to tradition. Mary would have been called Miriam by her family and friends. Matthew 1:18
August 17 – Av 30
Moses Chiseled the New Tablets: Before ascending Mount Sinai, the Lord instructed Moses to cut two tablets, like the ones he broke, and inscribe the same words on them. Exodus 34:1.
August 18 – Elul 1
- New Moon/New Month: The month of Elul begins today. Elul is the first month of the civil new year. Elul is pronounced eh-LOOL.
- Mount Sinai: On Elul 1, 1313 BC, Moses ascended Mount Sinai again. Scripture records Moses remained on the mountain forty days, descending, by tradition, on the Day of Atonement. Exodus 33-34
- Abundant Tithes: During the reign of King Hezekiah of Judah, the people brought their tithes to Jerusalem from the third month to the seventh month. It was during this month that Hezekiah ordered rooms to be built to hold the incoming tithes. After three months all the tithes were collected. 2 Chronicles 31:1-11
- Jesus Began His 40 Day Fast: In some Christian traditions, this marks the day the Holy Spirit led Jesus into the wilderness after His baptism. For forty days Jesus fasted and was tempted by the devil. Luke 4:1-13
August 24 – Elul 7
- The Death of the Ten Spies: Jewish history identifies this as the day the ten spies who gave the evil report to the children of Israel after returning from spying out the land. Because of their report, the Israelites rebelled against the Lord. Number 14:37
As we conclude our journey through August’s Bible timeline events, we find ourselves reminded of timeless stories and valuable insights from the past. These historical accounts have provide us with a deeper understanding of the human experience and our relationship with the Lord.
From the resourceful determination of the tribe of Benjamin to the tragic consequences of the Ten Spies’ report, we witness the complexity of human choices and their profound impact on the course of history. These narratives serve as poignant reminders of the importance of faith, integrity, and obedience in our own lives.
As we close our calendars on this month, let us carry with us the lessons learned from the past. Are we walking faithfully before the Lord? If not, let us make this a month we repent and with the help of the Lord return to walking with Him faithfully!