How to Choose a Bible Study for Your Kids
As parents, we know we should be teaching the Bible to our children, but where do we start? How do we choose a course of study? It can feel overwhelming to try to fit another thing into our busy schedule. It can be discouraging when another month has gone by and we realize we have not been actively helping our children learn the Bible.
How do you choose a topic to study? It is easy to compare ourselves with other parents and try to copy what they are doing. However, the Lord gave us these precious children and the ability to disciple them.
In choosing a topic, here are a few questions to ask:
- What interests you right now? Is it something you can teach to your children as you learn it?
- What interests are your children expressing? Do they want to know more about David and Goliath, Creation, or apologetics?
- What time of year is it? A fun summer Bible study is exploring the Bible timeline and adding your own dates. If it is winter, the Birth of Jesus is a great choice. Springtime is a perfect time for the Resurrection.
- Do your children need to study something specific, such as character traits?
- What is their level of biblical knowledge? Are they new to the Bible? Do they know the major characters and events?
What are your goals for your family Bible study?
Often we as parents will just “read the Bible” to our children and hope something sticks. We know God’s Word will not return void, but we want to do more than just read with our children. We want to disciple them and equip them to one day teach our grandchildren! But it is easier said than done.
Keep your goals simple, realistic, and reachable.
As you think about your next family Bible study, take a few minutes to jot down some goals, even if it is just one or two. This will do two things; it will help you to clarify your goals and to succeed in reaching those goals.
Where do you find the right Bible studies or Bible curriculum?
Now that you have an idea of what you want to teach and what goals you have, you need to find the right study! But where do you go?
- Ask your friends. We often have friends who are also trying to disciple their children. Ask them what they are using, or if they have any family Bible studies that interest them.
- Ask your church leaders. Pastors, Children’s Ministry leaders, and Sunday School teachers often know of many studies that will work well for families. They are a great resource.
- If you don’t find the answers you like, online research is a great place to search, read reviews, and download samples.
When it is time to choose your next family Bible study, these three steps can help you make the best choice for your family. If you should want a personalized recommendation of which Grapevine products might work well with your family, contact me!